[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SHEEPSTOR, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, county Devon, 7 miles S.E. of Tavistock. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Mew, near Sheepstor rock, a granite heap upon Dartmoor. At Ailsborough heights, in this parish, are extensive tin mines. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Bickleigh, in the diocese of Exeter. (See Bickleigh.)"