SHEEPWASH, a parish in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, county of DEVON, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Hatherleigh, containing 436 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Shebbear, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter. There is a place of worship for Baptists. The river Torridge runs through the parish. A market and three annual fairs were formerly held here. In 1743, the village was almost destroyed by fire. In this parish are the remains of a very large mansion, called Upcott Avenel, to which a chapel was formerly annexed; the few rooms still in being have been converted into a farm-house, and the fine old gateway was removed some years ago, for the purpose of building a handsome residence.