"SHELDON, a small village and parish, picturesquely situated among the hills, about 6 miles E. by N. of Collumpton. and N.N.W. of Honiton, has only 190 souls, and 1300 acres of land, belonging to the Bank of Honiton; Mr. E. Doble, Mr. Henry Ellis, Mr. Geo. Speake, and a few smaller freeholders. The manor was held by Dunkeswell Abbey, and afterwards by the Bourchier and other families. The Church (St. James,) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and three bells, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £262, in the patronage of W. Miles, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. E. Band, M.A., of Combe Rawleigh. There is no Parsonage House, and only half an acre of glebe, but the living is endowed with £140 a year out of the great tithes of Awliscombe parish. The tithes of Sheldon were commuted in 1837, for £145 per annum, and that portion which belonged to Dunkeswell Abbey is now vested in E.S. Drew, Esq. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.