[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SHELDON, a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 6 miles N.E. of Collumpton, its post town, and the same distance N.E. of Honiton. The village, which is of small extent and wholly agricultural, is situated on Black Down Hill. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £250. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells."