[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SILVERTON, a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 5½ miles S.W. of Collumpton, its post town, 7 N.E. of Exeter, and 3 S. of Hele railway station. The village, which is extensive, is-situated on an eminence, near the road from Tiverton to Exeter, and between the rivers Exe and Culme. It is now chiefly agricultural, but was formerly a market town. The parish contains the hamlet of Lease. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £950. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure with a tower containing a clock and six bells. In the churchyard is an old cross much defaced by time. The parochial charities produce about £210 per annum, including £133, the endowment of Richard's free school. There is a National school for girls. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. The trustees of the late Earls of Egremont and Ilchester are lords of the manor. On a hill on the E. side of the parish are the remains of a British camp. Cattle fairs are held on the first Thursdays in February and July."