"SOURTON, a small village, on the north-western verge of Dartmoor, near the sources of the river Lew, five miles S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 732 souls, and 5018A. of land, including a large portion of open moorland, and the small hamlets of Collaton, Lake, Southerleigh, and many scattered houses. J.G. Newton, S.C. Hamlyn. and J.M. Woolcombe, Esqrs., are lords of the manor, and owners of most of the soil, and the rest belongs to the Rev. J. Woolcombe John Gill, John Ball, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) is a small antique structure, with a tower and five fine toned bells, but the chancel was rebuilt in 1848, and has two stained glass windows. The curacy is annexed to Bridestowe rectory, and the tithes were commuted in 1846, for £258 per annum." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.