North Wyke is the largest house in South Tawton parish. The Wyke (alias Wyk or Weekes) family occupied it in 1227. A chapel licence was granted to Richard Wyke in 1439. The most notable of the family was John "Warrior" Weekes (1524-91) whose effigy lies in the Wyke Chapel of the Church of St Andrew. He might have been responsible for some of the surviving fabric of the house. The property was sold in 1713. It was bought in 1895 by the Reverend Wykes-Finch, a descendant of the Wykes on the distaff side. Google with the Archive Organization has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. The Internet Archive makes available, in its Community Texts Collection (originally known as Open Source Books), books that have been digitised by Google from a number of libraries. These are books on which copyright has expired, and are available free for educational and research use. This rare book was produced from a copy held by the New York Public Library, and is available from the Internet Archive.