[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SOUTH LEIGH, a parish in the hundred of Colyton, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. of Colyton. It is situated near a branch of the river Axe, under Blackbury Castle, one of the most perfect Roman encampments in the county. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. Wiscombe Park is the principal seat. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £181. The church, dedicated to St. Laurence, is a small ancient structure. The charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a Sunday-school with a small endowment. At Kingsdown, in this parish, are lines of ancient earthworks, and in the vicinity several barrows.