"ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD, or Stow St. Giles, a pleasant village and parish, 3 miles E. by S. of Great Torrington, contains 915 souls, and 3330 acres of land, including the hamlets of Kingscot, High Bullen, and Healand. A great part of the parish is in the manor of Stevenstone, which belongs to the trustees of the late Lord Rolle, who resided occasionally at Stevenstone House, . . . Stevenstone is a fine old mansion, with a deer park, and is occasionally occupied by Lady Rolle. Sir S.H. Northcote is lord of the manor of Winscot, which was held by Risdon, the antiquary. Way belongs to J.H. Furse, Esq., and other parts of the parish belong to several smaller owners. The Church was built in 1309, as a chapel to Torrington. The benefice is now a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of Great Torrington, and is now held by the Rev. John Francis, who has 50A. of glebe. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.