St Giles in the Wood
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
GILES (ST.), a parish in the hundred of FREMINGTON, county of DEVON, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Great Torrington, containing 786 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, and in the patronage of the Dean and Fellows of Christ Church College, Oxford. The church, among other monuments, contains one to the memory of Tristram Risdon, the antiquary. Robert Lovett, in 1710, bequeathed £30, the produce of which is applied to apprenticing children. There are almshouses for four poor widows, founded by an ancestor of Lord Rolle, who allows each of the inmates £1. 5. per annum. Stevenston, a mansion belonging to Lord Rolle, was taken possession of in the civil war, by Sir Thomas Fairfax, February 16th, 1646.