Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for St Giles in the Wood, from White 1890

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

ST GILES IN THE WOOD

From

White's Devonshire Directory of 1890

Transcribed by Debbie Kennett

ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD, or Stow St. Giles, a parish and pleasant village 3 miles E. by S. of Great Torrington, is in Torrington union and county court district, Great Torrington petty sessional division, Fremington hundred, Barnstaple archdeaconry, and Torrington rural deanery. The rateable value is £3353 10s. It had 906 inhabitants in 1881, and comprises 4827 acres of land. The parish includes the hamlets of Kingscott, High Bullen, Dodscott, and Heland. A great part of it is in the manor of Stevenstone, which belongs to the Hon. Mark G. K. Rolle. He resides at STEVENSTONE HOUSE, which was almost entirely rebuilt and enlarged in 1868-72. It is in the Victorian style of architecture, and stands in a park of about 370 acres, which is well stocked with deer, and contains fine timber. The Hon. Mark Rolle also owns the manor of Winscott, once held by Risdon the antiquary. Way Barton belongs to the Rev. C. W. Furse. Stevenstone is lighted with gas from works erected in 1873. Many good cottages have been erected during the last ten years, thus much improving the village. The CHURCH (St. Giles the Hermit) built in 1309 as a chapel to Torrington, and now consisting of nave, chancel, aisles, transepts, and tower containing six bells and a clock, was restored, in 1862, by the Hon. Mark Rolle, at a cost of £2000. Several of the windows are enriched with stained glass. A new stained-glass window has recently been put in the church by Mr. Robt. Vodden (churchwarden) to the memory of his wife and son. A very handsome new pulpit of Devonshire marble and alabaster has recently been erected, also a low screen of stone and marble with brass lectern fixed thereon, new oak stalls and benches for the clergy and choir in the chancel, the floor of which is elaborately paved with encaustic tiles, and the roof, including the sanctuary, handsomely painted with figures of saints and angels. There are also new brass altar rails, the whole being the gift of the Hon. Mark and Lady Gertrude Rolle. In the church are handsome monuments to the memory of various members of the Rolle, Risdon, and other old Devonshire families. The lych gate was erected by the patron in 1877. Register dates from 1555. The benefice is a vicarage valued at £126, in the patronage of the Hon. Mark Rolle, and incumbency of the Rev. H. J. Wilmot Buxton, who has a good parsonage house at Kingscott. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church College, Oxford are appropriators of the tithes, which are commuted at £479. There is a glebe of 29 acres. The BAPTISTS have a chapel at Kingscott, and the WESLEYANS one in the village; the latter was erected in 1854 (in lieu of one built in 1833), at a cost of £150; it will seat 130 persons, and contains a good organ. The NATIONAL SCHOOL, with teacher's residence, was erected in 1860 by Mr. Rolle, and is attended by 220 children. A new class-room was added in 1884, at the expense of the Hon. Mark Rolle. In the village is a READING ROOM, also provided by Mr. Rolle, established about 1870, which is well supplied with newspapers, and has a library of 220 volumes; there are about 55 members, and Mr. William Knott is the secretary. Here are four Almshouses, founded by Sir Henry Rolle, and endowed with £5 a year. The parish has several tenements for the poor, and a cottage for the schoolmaster, and apartments for the assistant mistress, provided by the Hon. Mark Rolle. The poor have the interest of £200, give by various donors, and an annuity of 10s., left by Charles Beer.
       POST OFFICE at Mr. Walter Trick's. Letters arrive at 8.25 a.m. and are despatched at 5.40 p.m. to Torrington, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office and Railway Station. There is a WALL LETTER BOX at Kingscott, cleared at 5.25 p.m week days only.

Ashplant William, farmer
Balman Edwin, farmer, Ward's farm
Bird Mrs Elizbth, shopkpr. Kingscott
Blackmore William, police sergeant
Buxton Rev. H. J. Wilmot, vicar, Vicarage, Kingscott
Carter Robert, farm bailiff to Hon. Mark Rolle, Peaghum's farm
Clark Robert, carpenter
Clark William, assistant overseer and tax collector
Clements Hy. farmer and corn miller, Stoneyford
Clements Thomas, blacksmith
Clements William, mason
Cock Mrs Elizabeth, dressmaker
Cole William, farmer, Cranford
Cole William, farmer, Dodscott
Couch John, boot and shoemaker, Higher Bullen
Couch Thomas, boot and shoemaker
Durling Henry, coachman
Friend Thomas, wheelwright and machinist, Kingscott
Gillies William, head gardener to Hon. Mark Rolle
Haggett Thomas, head gamekeeper to Hon. Mark Rolle
Hammott Mrs Jane, dressmaker
Hookway Chas. farmer, Higher house
Hookway John, farmer and butcher
Hookway Wm. farmer, Flavill's farm
Johnson Miss, Rose Moor house
Knott William, schoolmaster and secretary to reading room
Luxton Samuel, shopkeeper
Martin Henry, head butler to Hon. Mark Rolle
May Francis, blacksmith, Addlehole
Minter Herbert, vict. Rolle Arms, Kingscott
Nancekievill Jno. carpenter, Kingscott
Page John, farmer, Whitsley Barton
Rolle Hon. Mark George Kerr, J.P., D.L. Stevenstone house; & Bicton, South Devon
Squire Harwood, carpenter
Squire William, farmer and way warden, Dodscott
Sussex, Frederick, boot and shoemaker, Kingscott
Till Mrs Charlotte
Till Thomas, clerk of works to Hon. Mark Rolle
Tout John, tailor
Trick John, tailor, Higher Bullen
Trick Thomas, carpenter
Trick Walter, grcr. draper & postmstr
Turner Mark, farmer, Winscott
Vodden Lawrence, farmer & guardian, Beard
Vodden Robert, wheelwright
Wilcox Thomas, estate engineer and gas manager to Hon. Mark Rolle