A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
STAVERTON, a parish in the hundred of HAYTOR, county of DEVON, 3¼ miles (N. by W.) from Totness, containing 1042 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £32. 14. 9. The church, dedicated to St. George, contains some good screen-work. This parish is bounded on the south and south-west by the river Dart, and is famous for its cider: there are about forty presses, and the average quantity produced annually is seven thousand hogsheads. In the neighbourhood are quarries of blue and grey marble, slate, and excellent limestone. The Rev. Thomas Baker, in 1802, gave £200 for charitable uses, of the proceeds of which £8 is applied to the instruction of young children; and Thomas Bradridge, in 1805, gave a trifling annuity for the education of four.