[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"STOCKLEIGH ENGLISH, a parish in the hundred of West Budleigh, county Devon, 5 miles N.E. of Crediton, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Creedy. The soil consists of loam and clay upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £160. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The parochial charities produce about £1 per annum. John Prestwood Bellew, Esq., is lord of the manor.