"STOCKLEIGH POMEROY, on a bold eminence, four miles N.E. of Crediton, is a village and parish, containing 258 souls, and 1239A. 2R. 5P. of land. It was long held by the ancient family of Pomeroy, but is now the property of Sir H.F.R. Davie, Bart. The Church (St. Mary,) has an embattled tower and two bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15. 6s. 8d,, and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Young, who has a good residence, with tasteful grounds. The poor have the interest of £112, given by various donors. The glebe is 46A., and the tithes were commuted in 1841 for £180 :- Wm. R. Cockram, schoolmaster; Rd. Harvey, cattle dealer; James Yendell, butcher: Rev. Thomas Young, Rectory; and John Bodley, Wm. Strong, Jas. Tuckett, John Tuckett, and Jno. Webber, farmers." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in West Budleigh Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.