"STOKE-CANON, a small village near the confluence of the rivers Exe and Culm, and near the Bristol and Exeter Railway, 4 miles N.E. by N. of Exeter, has in its parish 490 souls, and 1217 acres of land. The manor was given by King Athelstan to Exeter Cathedral, and still belongs to the Dean and Chapter, who also own a great part of the soil, and are appropriators of the tithes and patrons of the perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at £221, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Wm. T.N. Penoyre, for whom the Rev. T.H. Knight, of Exeter, officiates. The Church (St. Mary,) was rebuilt about 1836, except the tower, at the cost of £1000. The interior is neatly fitted up, and the tower has a clock and four bells. In April, 1847, a hot cinder, blown from one of the railway engines, ignited the thatched roof of a row of cottages, and the fire spread till 24 dwellings, including the Parsonage House, were destroyed." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.