"STOKE CANON, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 4 miles N. of Exeter, its post town. It is a station on the Great Western railway. The village is situated on the Bristol and Exeter road, and near the rivers Exe and Culm, on which latter there is a paper mill. The manor was given by King Athelstane to the canons of Exeter. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is gravel, but fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value £180, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated St. Mary Magdalene, has a tower, with a clock and four bells; it was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1836. The interior contains a font of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a school for both sexes. The Pynes, Poltimore, and Killerton, are residences near the village. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are lords of the manor."