[From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]
"DEVONPORT, a celebrated naval arsenal, and a newly-enfranchised borough, in the parish of STOKE DAMERALL, S. division of the hundred of ROBOROUGH, S. division of DEVON, 1½ mile (W.) from Plymouth and 218 (W. by S.) from London; containing, with Morice Town and Stoke, 33,820 inhabitants, and, including tbe parish of East Stonehouse, 43,532. In the reign of William III. a naval arsenal was established here, under the name ot Plymouth Dock, and to this event the town is indebted for its importance and present magnitude: in 1824, the appellation of Devonport was conferred upon it by royal permission. It was first fortified in the reign of George II, but the works have been much improved under an act of parliament passed in the 21st of George III. . . .
DEVONPORT is situated on an eminence, bounded on the south and west by the mouth of the Tamar, which, expanding into an irregular estuary, forms the capacious harbour of Hamoaze, and on the east by Stonehouse creek. The town is of an oblong figure, and the streets, which arere regular and well built, nearly intersecting each other at right angles, are paved and lighted; the foot-paths, when washed by a shower, have a remarkably beautiful appearance, being paved with marble obtained in the neighbourhood, which receives a considerable polish from the action of the weather and the feet of passengers. "