Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Stoke Fleming 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

STOKE FLEMING

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

STOKE FLEMING is a pleasant modernised village, on a commanding acclivity, rising from the northern coast of Start Bay, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Dartmouth. Its parish contains 736 souls, and 3332 acres of land, mostly having a light fertile soil, resting on dunstone and slate. It includes the small hamlets of Ash, Buckford, Blackpool, and Emeridge, and several neat mansions, but Stoke House is now unoccupied. Sir H. P. Seale, Bt., is lord of the manor. Robt. Leach and John and H. N. Netherton have estates here, and Sir R. L. Newman and several smaller freeholders own part of the parish. The manor was part of the ancient inheritance of the Flemings, from whom it passed to the Mohuns, Carews, and Southcotes, the latter of whom sold it to the Seales about the close of last century. In a garden near the church are some remains of the ancient Anglo-Norman manor house, consisting of three arches of red sandstone; and some of its other remains are seen in the columns and capitals worked up in neighbouring buildings. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient fabric, in the early English style, with a lofty tower, containing six bells, which were recast in 1777. In the chancel are two fine brasses of the 14th century, and an ancient effigy. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £31. 6s. 0½d., and in 1831 at £725, is in the patronage of the Rev. W. Farwell, and incumbency of the Rev. A. Farwell, B. A., who has 71A. of glebe, and in 1834 erected the present large and handsome Rectory House, which has a well wooded lawn of seven acres. The Rev. Richd. Raynolds was ejected from the rectory in 1646, when upwards of 80 years old, but he survived the restoration, was re-possessed of the living, and died a few years afterwards, aged nearly 100. The National School was established in 1843. The poor parishioners have 2A. of land, purchased with £50, left by John Paige in 1689; a small meadow, left by Peter Creed in 1694; and the interest of £25, left by persons named Perring and Haswell. An almshouse, with six rooms and a garden, was given by an unknown donor for the residence of poor families. Two houses and gardens at Dartmouth have been long vested for the reparation of Stoke church.

DIRECTORY

Marked 2 are at Buckford; 3, Coombe; 4, Cotton; 5, Blackpool; and 6, at Emeridge.
Clarke Mr John, Redlap
Farwell Rev Arthur, B.A. Rectory
Hunt Mr
Leach Robt. Esq. Ash
Mainwaring Rev John, Start Bay Hs
Martin John
Martin Thomas, vict. New Inn
Neale Mr J. W., Rock vale
Netherton John, Esq. Bowden
Netherton Hy. N. Esq. Rivers Bridge
Oldreive Sar. vict. George & Dragon
Pitts Jane, butcher
Randall Miss, schoolmistress
Swainson Mr., Swannaton
Topping Stephen, gent. Belvedere
Webber Thos. gent
Wise Chas. gent. Blackpool Cottage

BLACKSMITHS.

Martin Thomas
Mortimore Wm.

CARPENTERS

Hamlyn James
Hine Thomas
Martin Jas. wgt
6 Pepperell Wm.

CORN MILLERS.

5 Bussell Wm.
5 Ford Arthur
5 May Robert
5 Treby John

FARMERS.

2 Bickley Wm.
Bidlake John
Brownson Wm.
Buckpit John
3 Buckpit Saml.
3 Clarke John
2 Cockram Geo.
Damerell John
Dawe Hy., Ash
Dawe W., Redlap
Dingle Eliz.
2 Ford Wm.
Heath Sarah
Lindon Thomas
4 Linkinhorne Jno.
Martin J. L., Ash
Martin Wm.
Oldreive Wm.
4 Webber Mary

MASONS.

Nunn Robert
Peek Wm. T.
6 Wootton Wm.

SHOEMAKERS.

Horswell Henry
Horswell H. jun
Trist Thomas

SHOPKEEPERS.

Abraham Wm. (and tailor)
Hambling Jas.
Hannaford Jas.
Martin John L.
Trant Wm.

POST from Dartmouth