[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"STOKE IN TEIGNHEAD, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 4 miles E. of Newton Bushel, and the same distance from North Abbott. Teignmouth is its post town. The village is situate in a valley on the coast near the mouth of the Teign. The parish contains the hamlets of Gabwell, Rocombe, Maidencombe, and a small part of Ringmore. The subsoil consists of limestone, gravel, and clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £467, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient structure, with a tower and four bells. The interior contains the brass of a priest, bearing date 1497; it was made collegiate by John de Sandford in the reign of Edward III. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. S. T. Kekewich, Esq., is lord of the manor."