A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
STOKEINTINHEAD, a parish forming, with Combintinhead, Haccombe, and Shaldon Green, a detached portion of the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Newton-Bushell, containing, with the township of Shaldon Green, 610 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £36. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, contains some ancient screenwork; it was formerly collegiate, for a warden and several chaplains, established in honour of the Virgin Mary and St. Andrew, by John de Stanford, in the reign of Edward III.
SHALDON-GREEN, a township in the parish of STOKEINTINHEAD, in a detached portion of the hundred of WONFORD, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (E.) from Newton Abbots. The population is returned with the parish. A chapel was erected in this township about, one hundred and fifty years ago, by the Carews of Haccombe. There are places of worship for Baptists and Independents. Shaldon, which contains many genteel villas, is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Teign, across which a bridge has been lately erected opposite to Ringmore, and a ferry-boat is constantly passing between this and Teignmouth, so that a more direct communication is thus established, both for vehicles and foot-passengers, with Teignmouth and Torquay.