"STOWFORD, a small village, in the valley of one of the tributary streams of the river Lyd, seven miles E.N.E. of Launceston, has in its parish 647 souls, and 2066 acres of land, including Sprytown hamlet, and many scattered houses. Hy. Blagrove, Esq., is lord of the manor of Milford, but that of Stowford, belongs to Mrs. Harris, together with Haine and Stone estates, which have been held by the Harris family many generations. She has a handsome seat here, called Haine Castle - a large quadrangular mansion, in the castellated style, erected 40 years ago. The Church is a handsome structure, with a tower, six bells, and several monuments belonging to the Harris family, one of whom was master of the household to Geo. II. ad III. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £270, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Jno. Wollocombe, M.A., who has 55A. 2R. 22P. of glebe, and a handsome residence. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Lifton Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.
Nick Mayne has prepared an index to the 1891 census, and is prepared to check for particular names in it on request.