Open a form to report problems or contribute information
A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
STOWFORD, a parish in the hundred of LIFTON, county of DEVON, 8½ miles (E. by N.) from Launceston, containing 394 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11. 12. 6., and in the patronage of J. D. Harris, Esq. In the church is a marble statue of C. Harris, Esq., in the ancient Roman costume. Margaret Doyle, in 1777, bequeathed the interest of £200 to be applied for teaching poor children. Dr. John Prideaux, a learned divine, was born here in 1578; he died in 1650.