"SUTCOMBE, a pleasant village, on the north side of the small river Waldon, five miles N. by W. of Holsworthy, has in its parish 523 souls, and 3953 acres of land. The manorial rights are very small, and the nominal lord of the manor is Mr. Walter, of West Putford. Earl Stanhope owns a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to Wm. Allin, Esq., of Theoborough, or Thoborough, and a number of smaller owners. The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, with a fine Norman porch, and a tower and three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17. 10s. 7½d., and in 1831 at £201, is in the patronage of the Rev. W.B. Coham, LL.B., and incumbency of the Rev. F.H. Briggs, M.A., who has 67½ acres of glebe, and a handsome residence, built in 1849-'50, and having tasteful grounds. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.