"SWIMBRIDGE, a large village, 5 miles E.SE. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 1746 souls, and 7061 acres of land, including the hamlets of Accot and Newland, and many scattered farm-houses, &c., and several pleasant seat. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor; but John Nott, Esq., R. Chichester, Esq., the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. In Risdon's time, there were some remains of the manor house of Ernsborough, where that eminent civilian, Dr. Cowell, was born, in 1554. The Church (St. James,) is a handsome structure, with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. A rich screen, in fine preservation, divides the nave and chancel. . . There is a Baptist Chapel here." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Gunn and Travellers Rest have modern chapels of ease.