Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Swimbridge 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Swimbridge 1850

                              SWIMBRIDGE


               From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850


SWIMBRIDGE, a large village, 5 miles E.SE. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 
1746 souls, and 7061 acres of land, including the hamlets of Accot and 
Newland, and many scattered farm-houses, &c., and several pleasant seat. 
The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor; but John Nott, Esq., R. 
Chichester, Esq., the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and several smaller 
owners, have estates in the parish. In Risdon's time, there were some 
remains of the manor house of Ernsborough, where that eminent civilian, Dr. 
Cowell, was born, in 1554. The Church (St. James,) is a handsome structure, 
with a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. A rich screen, 
in fine preservation, divides the nave and chancel. The Dean of Exeter is 
appropriator of the glebe (40A.) and the tithes, which were commuted, in 
1848, for £850 per annum. He is also patron of the perpetual curacy, which 
is annexed to that of Landkey, in the incumbency of the Rev. J. Russell, 
who has £40 yearly from the tithes of the two parishes, and also an 
augmentation from Queen Anne's Bounty. J. Nott, Esq., is lessee of the 
tithes. There is a Baptist Chapel here. The Parish Lands, &c., comprise 116 
acres and 18 houses, let for about £130 a year, of which £20 is applied in 
repairing the church, £6 in schooling poor children, and the rest in 
relieving poor parishioners. In the same trust, is a house for the sexton, 
and a house and garden occupied by paupers. The poor have also the interest 
of £40, left by three donors; and annuity of 20s., left by Charity Symons, 
in 1665.

Berry Thomas, shoemaker
Burgess John, & Norman Hy. shoprs
Clatworthy Abraham, tailor
Darch Wm. vict. Travellers' Rest
Davy Wm. vict. Hare and Hounds
Eastman My. gentwmn. Yolland Hs
Galliford Richd. vict. Ring of Bells
Hole Wm., Esq. Hannaford House
Hurdon John, surgeon
Ley John, Post Office
Nott John, Esq. Bydown House
Russell Rev John, M.A., incumbent, Donniton House
Shapland Lieut. Henry, R.N.
Shapland Henry, mason
Smallridge John, vict. New Inn
Smith John, tanner, &c

   BLACKSMITHS.
Dallin John
Dunn Henry
Harris Robert
Vickery John
Yeo Samuel

   BEERHOUSES. 
Baker Hmphy. 
Bawden Robert 

   CARPENTERS, &c. 
Chapple John 
Featherstone Sl. 
Warren George 

   FARMERS  
   (* are Owners.)
Baxter Sl. Accot 
Berry Wm.
Brayley John 
* Burden George
* Burden Geo. jun 
Geen George 
* Hartnoll Eliz.
Hartnoll Jane 
Hartnoll Thos. 
Huxtable Wm. 
Martin Alex.
Place Martin
Punchard John 
Richards John 
Shapland John 
* Thorne George 
* Thorne Wm.
Willis Richard
Yeo James

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999