"TALATON, a parish in the hundred of Hayridge, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Ottery St. Mary, its post town, and 11 N.E. of Exeter. The village is on the road from London to Exeter. George III. and three of the princesses were entertained here by Sir George Young, Bart., on the 14th of August, 1780. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £518. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure with a square tower, adorned with canopied niches and figures of saints, and contains five bells. The interior contains a wooden screen with a flight of stone steps leading to a rood loft, and several monuments to the Eveleigh family. The parochial charities produce about £18 per annum. A new church was erected at Escott in 1840 by Sir J. Kennaway, at an expense of £2,000. It contains several painted windows. Escott House, the principal residence, is situated in a well-wooded park. It has recently been rebuilt on the site of the old one, which was erected in the reign of James II., but destroyed by fire in 1808. Several persons were sentenced to be hanged here by Judge Jefferies. Dr. T. Spratt, the historian and poet, was born here in 1636, when his father was rector, and Sir W. Pole, the antiquary, was a resident. Sir J. Kennaway, Bart., is lord of the manor."