"TAMERTON FOLIOTT is a large and handsome village, pleasantly seated at the head of a creek, from the confluence of the Tamar and the Tavy, 4 miles N.W. of Plymouth. . . . It was one of the quarters of Prince Maurice's army, when besieging Plymouth, in 1643. Its parish contains 1214 inhabitants, and 4641 acres of land, but only 3805 are titheable. . . . The manor of Tamerton Foliott . . . now belongs to the Rev. Walter Radcliffe, who resides at Warleigh, the ancient manor house, near the mouth of the Tavy. . . . Maristow, more than two miles north of Tamerton, and 7 miles S. of Tavistock, is delightfully seated on the east bank of the Tavy, and is the seat and manor of Sir Ralph Lopes, . . . The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a lofty tower, and contains some antique monuments, one of which has the effigy of one of the Gorges, in plate armour. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £17. 7s. 8½d., and in 1831 at £315, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and the incumbency of the Rev. G.F. Arthur, . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Includes Martinstow (also known as Stow St Martin).