A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TAMERTON-FOLIATT, a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (N. by W.) from Plymouth, containing 1101 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £12.7. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a remarkably fine tower, and contains, among several handsome memorials of the Coplestone, Bampfylde, and Radcliffe families, an ancient altar-tomb, with the figures of an armed knight and his lady. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Tamerton, supposed by Camden to be the ancient Tamara, is delightfully situated on a creek of the Tamar, and is inhabited by many genteel families. A free school for twenty boys was founded; and liberally endowed with land and money, by Mary Deane, in 1734; the income is about £120 a year, for which they are clothed and educated. An almshouse for four widows was erected, in 1669, by Sir G. Bampfylde. In this parish is Maristow, the beautiful, but neglected, domain of Sir M. M. Lopes, Bart., where, in August 1789, he entertained George III. and three of the princesses. A chapel is attached to the mansion, in which divine service is regularly performed.