"TAWSTOCK, a pleasant scattered village and parish, from 2 to 4 miles S. of Barnstaple, has 1429 inhabitants, and 6500 acres of land, including the neighbouring hamlets of East Combe, West Combe, Hiscott, Prustacott, Chapeltown, and St. John's Chapel, in the fertile vale of the river Taw. The manor was successively held by the Brewer, Tracey, Martyn, Audley, Fitzwarren, Hankford, and Bourchier families. . . . It now belongs to Sir Bourchier Palk Wrey, Bart., of TAWSTOCK HOUSE, a large and handsome mansion, delightfully situated in an extensive and well-wooded park, on the western side of the river Taw. . . . Charles Sturt, Esq., is lord of the manor of Templeton. The Church (St. Peter,) is a fine Gothic structure, with a tower rising from the centre, and contains several monuments of the Bourchiers and Wreys. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £69. 12s. 1d., and in 1831 at £997, is in the patronage of Sir B.P. Wrey, and incumbency of the Rev. H.B. Wrey, M.A., who has 112A. of glebe, and a large and handsome modern residence. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Fremington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter. Has a modern chapel of ease at Harracott (1844).