A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
TAWSTOCK, a parish in the hundred of FREMINGTON, county of DEVON, 2 miles (S.) from Barnstaple, containing 1237 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £69. 12. 1., and in the patronage of Sir B. Wrey, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Independents. Mary Pine, in 1758, left a small sum in support of a school. The manor-house, which was garrisoned by Sir T. Fairfax, in February 1646, was almost consumed by fire in 1787: it has been rebuilt by Sir B. Wrey, except the ancient gateway, which still remains, bearing date 1574.