Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
TETCOTT. Holy Cross. The church [plate 229a] consists of chancel, nave, south transept or Arscott Chapel, south porch, and west tower with one bell. In the Arscott Chapel is the family pew with carved front, and at each end a lion holding a shield, one bears the Arscott arms. On the memorial tablets in this chapel are the following inscriptions:-
1. Here lyeth the Body
of John Arscott Esqr., who married
the daughter of Sr Shilston Calmady
he dyed while Sheriffe of the County
the 25th day of September
1675. Aetatis suæ 63.
Here also lyeth
the body of Gertrude wife
of the abouesaid John Arscott
Esq: who died the 18th of
October 1699. aged 77.
Monument was erected
in memory of Anne & Pru-
dence, the wives of John Ar-
scott of Tetcott Esq: Anne had
noe issue, she died 24th August 75
aged 22. Prudence had issue five
sons & one daughter, she died ye 12th
of January 1688. Aged 32.
Here also lyeth the
Body of the above
mentioned John Arscott Esq:
who died the 17th of June
1708. Aged 60.
of Arthur Arscott
younger son of Arthur Arscott Esq:
and Gwen his wife
Blessed with uncommon Endowments
for His age
In his long and painful Illness
a remarkable example
of Patience, Courage & Christian Resignation
Mourning His untimely death
Rejoicing His entrance to a Better life
Have placed this Monument.
He was born Augt ye 19 1723
Dyed March ye 27 1739.
Sacred to the Memory of John Arscott
late of Tettcott in this Parish Esquire,
who died the 14th Day of January 1788
and whose Remains lie near this Place
What his character was need not here be recorded
The deep Impression
which his extensive Benevolence and Humanity
has left on the Minds of His Friends and Dependants
will be transmitted by Tradition
to late Posterity
This stone is placed here as a small Memorial
of Affection and Gratitude by his Relation and Suc-
cessor Sir William Molesworth, Bart.
In the chancel are memorials of the Rev. John Rouse, 33 years rector of this parish, who died March 7th 1818, aged 81, of Catherine his wife, who died December 24th 1803, aged 51, of Jane his sister, who died October 11th 1812, aged 81, and also of Catherine Jane Hart, daughter of the Rev. Oliver Rouse, rector of the parish, who died January 24th 1814, aged 3 years and three months. In the chapel there is a memorial of the Rev. Oliver Rouse, for 30 years and upward rector of this parish, who died March 12th 1846, aged 65, his wife Priscilla Amelia, who died March 12th 1834, aged 57, and two of their sons.
There is a Norman font [plate 229b]. The organ has the following inscription:-
To the Glory of God and Holy Church
this organ was given by Temple Walter West, M.A.
for twenty-seven years Rector of this Parish.
The organ was opened February 11th 1872.
|LIST OF RECTORS
|1310 William Norreis or Norreys
||1652 Thomas Ware
|? Robert de Holediche
||1663 Peter Maye
|1341 Reginald Pipard
||1682 William Rowe
|1349 Nicholas Mouche
||1689 Edward Hawkins
|? Robert Kutcombe
||1697 Richard Turner
|1428 Thomas Godyer
||1732 James Sanxay
|1439 John Clerke
||1768 Samuel Cory
|1480 John Chapman
||1782 William Tickell
|1505 William Marke
||1784 John Rouse
|1513 Richard Wodthorpe
||1811 Oliver Rouse
|1547 Richard Avery
||1846 Paul William Molesworth
|1567 David Walter
||1854 Temple Walter West
|1585 James Wood
||1881 Herbert Upton Squire
|1589 John Holmes
||1905 Walter Geary Knocker
|1591 Roger Squyer
||1915 Henry Ernest Everett Laughlin
|1605 Abraham Smyth
The registers date: baptisms, 1596; marriages, 1599; burials, 1599.