"THORNBURY, on the banks of the small river Waldon, five miles N.E. of Holsworthy, is a pleasant village and parish, containing 524 souls, and about 2000 acres of land. Mrs. Freer and Mrs. Fowke, (two sisters,) of Leicestershire, are ladies of the manor, and owners of most of the soil, held on life leases, not to be renewed. They have also the patronage of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £11. 3s. 11½d., and in 1831 at £221, and now in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Edgcumbe, B.A., who has 90A. of glebe, and a good residence, lately put in thorough repair. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Black Torrington Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter.