A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
THORNBURY, a parish in the hundred of BLACK TORRINGTON, county of DEVON, 4½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Holsworthy, containing 517 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11.3. 11½., and in the patronage of William Morris Fry, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has a Norman door, and contains a monument of an armed knight and his lady, with several monumental effigies of the Edgecumbe family.