Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Throwleigh 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

THROWLEIGH

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

THROWLEIGH, or THROWLEY, is a small village, near a rivulet at the foot of the north-eastern declivities of Dartmoor, 6½ miles E.S.E. of Okehampton, and 8 miles S.E. of South-Zeal. Its parish contains 445 souls and 1943A. 3R. 12P. of land, including several farms, &c., bearing different names. Mr. John Dunning is lord of the manor of Throwleigh, but the greater part of the parish belongs to R.D. Gay, Richard Herbert, John Underhill, the Rev. A. Whipham, and several other freeholders. The manor belonged at an early period to the Ferrers, and after passing to many other families, it was dismembered. The Church is a stone fabric, with a tower and five bells, and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 6s. 10½d., and in 1831 at £222, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The Rev. Wm. Herman Schwabe is the incumbent, but is now abroad as a missionary. The glebe is 49A. 3P., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £178 per annum. At Providence Place, on the south side of the parish, is a small chapel belonging to the Bible Christians, built in 1839, at the cost of about £140, and having a small burial ground. A house and garden have been vested from an early period for the use of the church, and are let for about £5. 10s. per annum. The churchwardens have also two annuities of 5s. each, left by John Dunning, and an unknown donor. The latter also left 5s. a year for the poor.

Brimblecombe Richard, carpenter
Coneybeer Rev. Wm. (Bible Chtn.)
Dodd Thomas, tailor
Endicott Jph. tailor & par. clerk
Gay Rd. Dunning, gent., Providence pl
Gidley George, cooper
Gidley George, shoemaker
Gidley Gustavus vict., New Inn
Haggart James, thatcher & sexton
Hill Wm. schoolmaster
Osborn Daniel, vict., Star Inn
Whiddon Rev. Samuel, M.A. curate

BLACKSMITHS - Jas. Curson, Thos. Hill, and Wm. Murch

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
* Aysh John
Dicker John
* Coombe Wm. corn miller
* Dunning James, Throwleigh
* Dunning John, Wonson
* Dunning Wm, Way
Easterbrook John, Row
Endicott George, Way
Endicott John, Murchington
French George, Langstone
* Gay John Dunning, Forder
Gidley George, Royal Oak
* Gidley Richard, Murchington
Herbert Philip, Walland Hill
Lemon John, Murchington
* Moore Wm., Langstone

Post via South-Zeal and Chagford.

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998