"UPLOWMAN is a scattered parish, near the river Lowman, 4 miles north-east from Tiverton station on the Exe Valley branch of the Great Western railway, in the North Eastern division of the county, petty sessional division of Cullompton, hundred, union and county court district of Tiverton, rural deanery of East Tiverton and archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter. The church of St. Peter was erected in the 15th century, on the site of an earlier church built by Walter Stapylton, bishop of Exeter, 1308-27. . . . the present church was built by the Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and mother of Henry VII. who resided occasionally at the village of Sampford Peverell. . . . the south aisle was lengthened by the addition of a small chapel or chantry, founded by one of the Courtenay family, whose initials, "P. C." may be seen over a niche between the choir and south aisle; within the niche are the badges of the Courtenay and Bohun families: the capitals of the piers bear the shields of the families of Ralegh and Bonville: three of the windows are stained, one being a memorial to the Rev. S. Pidsley, a former rector, and another to the late Mr. Commissioner Bere: the church was restored and a new chancel built in 1864: a memorial brass by Mr. Harry Hems, of Exeter, was placed on the south chancel wall in 1892, in memory of the Rev. Charles Sandford Bere M.A. rector of this parish 1858-85 and vicar of Morebath, where he died, 1885-89. . . . there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1662. . . . The chief crops are wheat, barley and apples. The acreage is 3,210; rateable value £3,310; the population in 1901 was 374 in the civil and 389 in the ecclesiastical parish." [From: Kelly's Directory of Devonshire, 1902]
According to Peskett, Uplowman lies part in Tiverton Hundred, part in Halberton Hundred.