Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Upton Pyne 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

UPTON PYNE

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

UPTON-PYNE is a straggling village on the north-east side of the vale of the small river Creedy, near its confluence with the Exe, and nearly 4 miles N. by W. of Exeter. Its parish extends to Cowley Bridge, and contains about 2200 acres of land, and 512 inhabitants. Sir Stafford Henry Northcote Bart., is lord of the manor, and owner of a great part of the soil, and resides at PYNES HOUSE, a commodious brick mansion, in a small but well- wooded park, commanding picturesque views. The manor belonged to the Pyne family as early as the reign of Henry I., and it afterwards passed to the Larders, Coplestons, and Staffords. The heiress of the latter carried it in marriage to the late Sir Henry Northcote, one of whose ancestors was created a baronet in 1641. An estate called Ley or Leigh, in this parish, belongs to the Roberts family, and here are several farms belonging to other proprietors. The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells, and a south aisle was added to it about 14 years ago. An old monument has an effigy in armour, of one of the Larder family. Over the altar is a painting of the Lord's Supper, by an Italian artist, bought by one of the Stafford family. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £23. 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £482, is in the patronage of Sir S.H. Northcote, Bart., and incumbency of the Rev. S.C. Northcote, M.A., who has a good residence and 90A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted, in 1837, for £400 per annum. The patron and rector support a National School, in the Churchyard; and the poor have the interest of £60, left by various donors, and the dividends of £141. 18s. three per cent. consols, purchased with £100, left by Nicholas Williams, in 1803.

Couch Abraham, blacksmith
Fursey Wm. shopkeeper
Freer John, M.D. Oakford House
Heard Eliz. post-office, Cowley bdg
Helmore Wm. land surveyor, &c., Cowley Bridge
Lamacraft Wm. assistant overseer, &c
Northcote Sir S.H., Bart. Pynes Hs
Northcote Henry Stafford, Esq., ditto
Northcote Rev Stafford C., M.A. Rectory
Perkins John, shoemaker
Perry Elizabeth, schoolmistress
Pitt Wm. vict. Horse and Groom

CARPENTERS.
Bamsey Richard
Bamsey George
Finch John
Finch John, jun
Hogg Wm (and machine maker)
Smeedon Thomas (and wheelwright)
Webber John (and parish clerk)

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)
Beedell Thomas (and butcher)
Pidsley Wm. Ley
Finch Thos.
* Rew John, Exe-weir Barton
* Roberts Edmund Gay, Esq. Firlake
Sharland John (constable,) Pearse's
* Townsend Henry C. Stevenstone
* Turner Edward (sheep breeder,) Naddircott


Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998