"VEN-OTTERY, or Fen Ottery, a small village and parish on the west side of the Otter valley, three miles S. by W. of Ottery St. Mary, has only 134 souls, and about 1200 acres of land, belonging to Mr. Thos. Yelverton, Mr. J.R. Taylor, the trustees of the late Lord Rolle, and a few smaller owners. The manor was anciently held by the Furneaux family. The Church (St. Gregory,) has a tower and three bells, and is an ancient structure, except the chancel, which was rebuilt in 1832. The vicarage is consolidated with that at Harpford . . . and was endowed with the great tithes by R. Duke, Esq. The glebe is ten acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £290 per annum." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.
Parish Registers going back to 1587 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Transcripts of the Parish Registers going back to 1587 are held in a special collection in the Westcountry Studies Library.
The Devon FHS publishes indexes covering (as of June 2004): Baptisms 1813-1839, Marriages 1754-1837, Burials 1813-1837 - for details see their book list.
Entered into the IGI (as of Jan 1993): Parish Church Christenings 1596-1837, and Marriages 1591-1837.
Dickinson, F.B. The early register of the parish of Fen Ottery, 1596-1680. Trans. Devon Assoc. (1901) xxxiii, pp336-362. [Transcript - contains Baptisms 1506-1680, Marriages 1591-1680, and Burials 1587-1680]