"WELLCOMBE is a small scattered village and parish, 3 miles S. of Hartland, adjoining Cornwall and the sea, and near the sources of the rivers Torridge and Tamar. It has only 293 souls, and 751 A. 2R. 21P. of land, mostly belonging to L.W. Buck, Esq., the lord of the manor, formerly belonging to the Capra, Merton, Stowell, and Rolle families. The Church (St. Nectan,) is a small ancient structure, and the living is a perpetual curacy, which was separated from Hartland in 1508, and is valued at only £86, in the patronage of Lord Clinton, and incumbency of the Rev. H. M. Cockshott." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hartland Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Alan Rowland, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: bap. 1777-1812; marr.1757-1836; bur.1778-1812; Hearth Tax List 1674; Devon Protestation Return 1641.)