Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Wembury 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WEMBURY

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

WEMBURY, a scattered village near the sea cliffs between Plymouth Sound and the mouth of the Yealm, 6 miles S.E. by S. of Plymouth, has in its parish 616 souls and 3670 acres of land, including the hamlets of Knighton and Down Thomas. The manor of Wembury belonged to Plympton Priory till the dissolution, and afterwards passed to various families. In the 16th century it belonged to Sir John Hele, sergeant at law, who built here a magnificent mansion, at the cost of £20,000, and enclosed a park, which had a salt water lake, supplied by the tides. After his death this manor was sold for the payment of his debts. It was purchased in 1803, by Thos. Lockyer, Esq., who pulled down the mansion, and built a smaller house for his residence. E. R. P. Bastard, Esq., is now lord of the manor and the royalty of the river Plym (sic), from Kitley to Plymouth Sound. C. B. Calmady, Esq., is lord of the manor of Langdon, and resides at Langdon Hall, a neat mansion, which has been the seat of his family for several generations. T. Lockyer and several smaller owners have estates here, and Sir Edward Thornton, G.C.B., has a handsome seat in the parish. The Church (St. Werburg,) stands near the sea cliff, and is a small antique structure, with a tower and three bells. It contains several handsome monuments in memory of the Heles, and an iron helmet supposed to have been worn by Sir Warwick Hele. The perpetual curacy, valued in 1831 at only £83, is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, and incumbency of the Rev Rd. Lane, jun., of Brixton. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, built in 1820. The church and poor have £40 three per cent. consols, given in lieu of two ancient rent charges. The Almshouses for ten poor people were founded by Sir Warwick Hele, who endowed them in 1625 with £30, arising from six tithe rent charges. Sir John Hele left two yearly rent charges to this parish, viz: £6. 13s. 4d. to the perpetual curate, and £2. 12s. for the poor. They are paid out of land at Clifton in Dorsetshire, belonging to the Marquis of Anglesea. The incumbent has also £20 a year as the interest of £500, left by Josias Calmady in 1682, and now secured on an estate called Higher Edgecombe and Ransdown, at Milton Abbott. The same donor also left a yearly rent charge of £2. 12s. for the poor, out of Colebrook estate.

DIRECTORY

Marked 2 are at Down Thomas, and 3 at Knighton.

Calmady Charles Biggs, Esq., Langdon Hall
3 Colman John, blacksmith
Cook Thomas, corn miller
Gregory Richard, vict., Jubilee
Lockyer Thomas, Esq
Natt John, cider seller
Newland R. R., gent. Bovi Sand
2 Taylor John, vict. New Inn
Thornton Sir Edward, G.C.B., Wembury House
Willson Edw., beerhouse, Gabber

FARMERS. (* are Owners)

Atwill Ts. & Sar.
Baron H., Langdon Barton
2 Blackler Thos.
3 Brewer Wm.
Cane Daniel
2 Edwards Wm.
Hern Henry
* Hook A. & S.
Horton Eliz.
* Light Anty. P.
Lobb Thomas
2 Lyndon Wm.
Nelder J. & T.
2 * Parrott John
Pursley John
2 Wilson James

SHOPKEEPERS.

Avery Wm.
3 Wire Chtte.