From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
OGWELL (WEST) is a small parish adjoining East Ogwell, about two miles S.W. of Newton-Abbot. It has only 51 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, generally fertile, and finely undulated. At Domesday Survey the manor was held by Wm. Pictavensis, or Peytevin. It was sold by one of the Earls of Devon to the Reynell family, and is now the property of General Thos. Wm. 'l'aylor, C.B., who is Lieut.- Governor of the Military College at Sandhurst, and has a handsome seat here, called OGWELL HOUSE, pleasantly situated in a small deer park, finely clothed with wood, and now occupied by H.C.B. Barton, Esq., and Mrs. Barton. The Church is a small plastered fabric, with a tower and three bells, and contains several neat monuments. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7. 2s. 11d., and in 1831 at £127, is in the same patronage and incumbency as that of East Ogwell. The principal residents are, Henry Chas. Benyon Barton, Esq., and Mrs. R.L. Barton, Ogwell House, and John Harris, John Lethbridge, John Shapley, James Shepherd, and Geo. Wilcocks, farmers.
Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998