Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
WORLINGTON WEST. St. Mary. The church [plate 261a] consists of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch, and west tower with spire containing six bells. The exterior of the spire is tiled with small wooden blocks [plate 261b]. On the south side of the chancel is a piscina with drain and shelf.
On the north wall is a monuments with the inscription:- In Memory of
the Right Worll Sr
Thomas Stukly of
Affton Knight who
departed this life
September the 20th 1663
and heir under neath in a vault
On the south wall is a marble tablet with the inscription:- In fond memory of Lieut. Lewis George Orchard Stuckley, instructor of musketry 36th Regt. Died at Murree, Punjab, India, October 11 1870, aged 27 years. This tablet is erected by his brother officers as a tribute of their love and esteem.
There are three two-light windows in the nave, the one at the east end being filled with stained glass with figures of King David and the Blessed Virgin; it is in memory of John Troake of Affton Barton, in this parish, who died November 12th 1890. There are some old bench-ends in nave and aisle carved with geometrical and floral designs; one in the nave has a linen pattern. The aisle is separated from the nave by three arches resting on pillars with well carved capitals.
A screen [plate 261c] of two bays and the doors is in the south aisle, enclosing the eastern bay and forming a chapel. It is of late Perpendicular style, and has arched lights with solid spandrels in a rectangular framework. The lights have the usual Perpendicular tracery, there is a rather remarkable rosette in the tracery fork. The cornice has a cabled head and the doors bear the linen-fold design. In the lights are two shields, the one in the left light has a rose, that in the right fleur-de-lis, each bay has four lights with plain mullions. There is what appears to be a pomegranate carved at the right hand top corner of the right bay.
There are carved bosses in the roof, several of modern date, that over the screen represents the Blessed Virgin and Child. The Royal arms of one of the [King] Georges are in a frame over the south doorway and on a tablet beneath is the inscription:- John Cooke.
Warden . 1762.
The registers date: baptisms, 1694; marriages, 1694; burials, 1681.