WHITCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of DEVON, l¼ mile (S. E.) from Tavistock, containing 692 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £16. 5. 5., and in the patronage of the Rev. Peter Sleeman. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. A chantry chapel was founded, in 1300, by the abbot of Tavistock. Francis Pengelly, Esq., in 1719, left £6 per annum for teaching six poor children. The Tavistock races are held annually on Whitchurch down.