[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"WILLAND, a parish in the hundred of Halberton, county Devon, 2 miles N.E. of Collumpton, 6 E. of Tiverton, and close to the Tiverton-road junction of the Bristol and Exeter railway. The village is situated on the road between Exeter and Bristol. The river Culm runs through the lower part of the parish, and often inundates the adjoining meadows. The soil is a mixture of loam and black earth upon a subsoil of gravel. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £100. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a chapel for Wesleyans and a National school. The charities produce about £3 per annum."