Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Withycombe Rawleigh 1868

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

WITHYCOMBE-RAWLEIGH

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"WITHYCOMBE-RAWLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 5 miles S.E. of Topsham, and 1½ mile N.E. of Exmouth, on the E. bank of the broad estuary of the river Exe. The parish includes, besides the village of Withycombe, the hamlet of Hulham and part of the town of Exmouth. The manor was formerly held by the tenure of furnishing two good arrows and an oaten cake to the king when he should hunt in Dartmoor Forest. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £210, in the patronage of Lord Rolle's Trustees. The old church, called St. John's in the Wilderness, is in ruins except the tower but a new one was erected in 1720 in the village of Withycombe, about a mile from the old one. There are a National school and an Independent chapel. The charities produce about £15 per annum, besides Drake's and Parminter's almshouses."

"EXMOUTH, a market town, seaport, and fashionable bathing-place, in the parishes of Littleham and Withycombe Rawleigh, in the hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 5 miles S.E. of Topsham, and 10 S.E. of Exeter. From this place there is a branch line of railway to Exeter, connected with the London and South-Western line. It is situated on the eastern side of the river Exe, close to its mouth, and is now much resorted to for its bathing accommodation. The Dones effected a landing here at the beginning of the 11th century, and in the reign of Edward III. Exmouth furnished several ships to assist in the siege of Calais. Its possession was contended for during the civil wars of Charles I., the royalists being ultimately obliged to surrender. The town, within the last few years, has undergone many and great improvements; a sea-wall of considerable extent has been built, with a beautiful promenade. There are several good terraces of houses, assembly rooms, libraries, and baths. In the neighbourhood the walks and scenery are very fine, especially the views from Beacon Hill and Powderham Castle. The town is lighted with gas, and has a good water supply. Petty sessions are held monthly, and a manor-court annually in the month of November. Here is a station of the coastguard service. The principal occupation of the male population is in fishing, and of the female the manufacture of lace. The entrance to the river is contracted, and the water shallow. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Exeter, annexed to the vicarage* of Littleham, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, which stands in the town, is a chapel-of-ease to the parish of Littleham. It is a fine edifice, dedicated to St. Margaret. The charities produce about £120 per annum, and are under the management of the parochial authorities of Littleham. The Independents have two chapels, and the Reformed Wesleyans, Bible Christians, and Plymouth Brethren one each. There is an endowed National school for both sexes. The Pellews take from this place the title of viscount. Saturday is market day, and fairs are held on the 25th April and 28th October."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003