"YARNSCOMBE, a village and parish, 5 miles N.E. of Great Torrington, and 7 miles S. by E. of Barnstaple, contains 512 souls, and 3047 acres of land. The Trustees of the late Lord Rolle are lords of the manor of Great Yarnscombe; and J.H. Furse, Esq.&, owns that of Little Yarnscombe. J.P. Blew, Esq.&, and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, with several old monuments. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7. 11s. 11d., and in 1831 at £132, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. John K. Fletcher, D.D., of Callington, Cornwall. The glebe is 30 acres, and the Parsonage is a small stone residence. The tithes were commuted in 1840, the vicarial for £136. 10s., and the rectorial for £152. The latter belong to the Trustees of the late Lord Rolle. There was anciently a chapel at Little Yarnscombe. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel. . ." [From White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon (1850)]
A parish in Hartland Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple and Diocese of Exeter, 6 miles N.E. of Great Torrington, that had 498 inhabitants in 1831.