GENUKI Home
page
Gateshead GENUKI
Gateshead
   Gateshead Family History
Resources Gateshead Family
History Resources
   Gateshead Local Studies
Online Gateshead Local
Studies Online

 

Some Remnants of Victorian Gateshead

The locations illustrated here are featured in the "Victorian Gateshead" walk (part of Local History Month) conducted by Anthea Lang, Local History Librarian.

© Brian Pears, 2003

Click on the thumbnails to view larger images.

You may find that these images are best viewed full screen.


The High Level Bridge and Swing Bridge . The red-brick building on the left is the former River Police Station.

Tyne Bridge Pylon. Site of the Great Explosion of 1854.

Descriptive Plaque.

Stone set into the north wall of St Mary's Churchyard.

Stones on Church Walk mentioned on the previous photograph.

The Central public house.

Gateshead East Station and the High Level Bridge approach.

Town Hall

Clock in front of Town Hall.

Town Hall and Clock.

Commemorative Window above Town Hall door dedicated to Town Clerks Joseph Willis Swinburne and William Swinburne.

Detail from commemorative window.

Plaque below commemorative window.

Dispensary and Town Hall, West Street.

The Dispensary .

The Dispensary.

Descriptive Plaque.

The Post Office on West Street. The building is on the site of a house occupied by Thomas Bewick.

The foot-hold and handle in the Post Office wall allowed a policeman to raise himself up sufficiently to see the Post Office safe through the upper part of the window.

Commemorative plaque in the Post Office wall.

Walker Terrace .

7 Walker Terrace, the offices of solicitors, Swinburne and Jackson. .

Windmill Hills Care Homes - the former Windmill Hill School .

Monument on Windmill Hills to George Hawks , first Mayor of Gateshead. Erected 1865, moved to this location 2001.

Inscription on monument.

Descriptive stone set into the ground in front of the monument.

St Joseph's Church on High West Street . The first R.C. church in Gateshead.

St Joseph's Church.

Co-operative Store, Jackson Street .

Beehive symbol from Co-op frontage.

Wall adjacent to the Co-op built from stones from the windmill which formerly stood where New Century House now stands.

The Metropole public house on High Street - opened as the Metropole Theatre in 1896 and later became the Scala cinema.

Holy Trinity and St Edmund's Chapel.

Grey Nags Head public house and Leonard's Court, a cholera 'hot-spot' during the 1852/3 epidemic.

The former Public Library on Swinburne Street .


Valid HTML 4.01 Home Page
[Last updated: Thursday, 3rd January 2013 - 10:43 GMT - Brian Pears]