Rochford Poor Law Union formally came into being on 30th October 1835, consisting of 23 parishes (listed below). Rochford Union workhouse was built in 1837 on a site at the north side of West Street in Rochford. Added to the site in 1858 was an infirmary, and in 1865 also chapel. In 1920, the workhouse infirmary became known as Rochford Hospital.
The surviving records are held at the Essex record Office in the reference G/Ro Title [ROCHFORD UNION] series.