Open a form to report problems or contribute information
BADGEWORTH, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BADGEWORTH, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Dudstone, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles to the E. of Gloucester. Cheltenham is its post town. It lies near the Gloucester and Cheltenham branch railway, and contains the hamlets of Bentham, Little Shurdington and Little Witcomb, with part of Great Shurdington. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value, with the curacy of Great Shurdington, which is annexed to it, of £295, in the patronage of J. E. Viner, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The poor of this parish have the benefit of an endowment by Cox, of £100 per annum. There are an endowed school and other small charities. The principal residence is Badgeworth House."
"BENTHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Badgeworth, and hundred of Dudstone, in the county of Gloucester, 4 miles to the E. of Gloucester."
"LITTLE SHURDINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Badgeworth, hundred of Upper Dadstone, county Gloucester, 4 miles E. of Gloucester."
"LITTLE WITCOMB, a hamlet in the parish of Badgeworth, county Gloucester, adjoining Witcomb Magna. [Recorded as WITCOMB PARVA in Gazetteer -RL 2003]"