BIBURY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BIBURY, a parish partly in the hundred of Bradley, and partly in that of Brightwell's Barrow, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles to the S. of Northleach. Fairford is its post town. It is situated in a beautiful country, on the banks of the river Colne, and contains the chapelry of Winson and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £1,023, in the patronage of Lord Sherborne. The church, which was founded by the abbots of Osney, has some Norman arches, and is dedicated to St. Mary. The chief residence is Bibury House, the property of Lord Sherborne, but occupied by his son, the Hon. J. Dutton, who is lord of the manor. The mansion, which was built by the Sackvilles, is well situated, and commands a good prospect over the Colne. At Ablingdon there is a very ancient manor-house, built in 1590, belonging to the Coxwell family. Roman antiquities have been found here. The village is a meet for the White Horse hounds. The races which took place annually in June are now discontinued." "ABLINGTON, a tything in the parish of Bibury, and hundred of Brightwell's Barrow, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles N.W. of Fairford, on the river Coln. Ablington House is the principal residence." "ARLINGTON, a tything in the parish of Bibury, hundred of Brightwell's Barrow, in the county of Gloucester, 5 miles from Northleach."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]