BLAKENEY, Gloucestershire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"BLAKENEY, a chapelry in the parish of Awre, hundred of Bledisloe, in the county of Gloucester, 3 miles to the S. of Newnham. It lies near the river Severn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £232, in the patronage of the Haberdashers' Company, London. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Baptists have a chapel in the village. Cattle fairs are held here on the 12th May and the 12th November."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]